• ANNOUNCEMENT

We have added a Micro Four Thirds (M43) forum in the gear section.
    The Olympus gear forum has been merged with it.
    It's here

Post Your Bee Shots (including wasps and other pollinators)

Body is the EOS R7.
Lens is the Canon RF 100mm F2.8L IS USM.

The rear ring closest to the body is a “Silence Corner Atoll X – Black” which allows me to rotate the body/lens. It has click stops at 90-degree intervals which is useful. The OEM Canon ring for the RF 100mm is useless, it sticks, binds and resists rotation, very poor design compared to the Canon Ring for my EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM.

The front ring on which the ball heads and Kaiser adjustable bounce flash shoe with tilt control is an old telescope mounting ring which I have drilled and tapped ¼” Whitworth threads so I can move the MT26 Heads on a DIY Alu bracket.

The base Diffuser is the Intra Dental Diffuser for the MT-26. I have fitted Gary Fong Puffers directly (push fit) onto the Intra magnetic bracket heads which clip onto the MT-26 Heads.

I then fitted a layer of China Silk in between to further diffuse the light.

The insect-facing Diffuser comes with the Intra Kit.

ATOLL Model X (silencecorner.net)

Adjustable Bounce Flash Shoe, Hot Shoe Flash 201200| Kaiser Foto (kaiserfotous.com)

$276 Intra Diffuser for Canon MT-26 Macro Flash | Buy Cameras Direct Australia

Puffer™ PLUS: Canon Mount – Gary Fong Lightsphere
View attachment 1592
Dennis
Dang Dennis, You surely get some nice shots with that setup, but I couldn’t see myself waiting off into a bog or duckweed covered. swamp with that for worry of falling down with it.

Dang Dennis, You surely get some nice shots with that setup, but I couldn’t see myself waiting off into a bog or duckweed covered. swamp with that for worry of falling down with it.
Hah! The rig is noticeably lighter than the Canon 5D Mk IV, EF100mm F2.8L set up that it replaced! :)

Dennis

The Paper Wasps were huddled together this morning and still snoozing so I was able to use Focus Bracketing to extend the DOF.

I hand held the camera as I had to reach into the foliage and PS CC did a good job catering for the slight user-induced jiggles between the 20 frame stack.

Dennis.

R3 IMG_6693 Crop 1600.jpg

R3 IMG_6693 Crop 1600 FR.jpg

We had some overnight rain which left the Paper Wasps in our back garden covered in small rain drops.

Tough characters these insects.

This is a stack of 20 frames, tripod mounted. EOS R3, EF 180mm F3.5L, EF Extender x1.4, MT-26 EX Speedlite.

Dennis.

R3 IMG_7150 Crop 1600 A.jpg

R3 IMG_7150 Crop 1600 FR A.jpg

Bees-Jun-29-132041-00807D.jpg

7D | 1/2500 | ISO6400 | Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8 EX APO DG HSM + bunch of extension tubes | f/8 | 200mm

Today I used the Canon EF MP-E65 f2.8 1-5x macro lens to grab a 20 frame stack of a single Paper Wasp snoozing after a somewhat dewy night.

Tripod mounted using a Macro Focus Rail. I manually turned the screw ¼ turn for each frame to extend the DOF.

Illumination was provided by a Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT mounted off camera, fitted with a LumiQuest SoftBox to diffuse the flash.

Dennis.

R5 IMGA4354 Crop 1600 A.jpg

R5 IMGA4354 Crop 1600 FR.jpg

After a little bit of do i want /need a macro lens, i took the plunge on saturday and got the rf 100 f2.8 macro, why didnt i get this before

Attachments

• _30A1018.jpeg
    _30A1018.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 5
  • _30A1089.jpeg
    _30A1089.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 5
The mornings are getting cooler and the Paper Wasps are getting more used to me setting up the tripod so today, they posed quite nicely with not too much fidgeting as the Canon Macro-Lite MT-26 EX-RT fired. This was around the 3:1 magnification mark on the MP-E65.

This is a stack of 15 fames using a manual macro focusing rail. I turned the focus screw ¼ turn inward, took a shot and so on.

Dennis.

R5 IMGA4432 MASTER Crop 1600.jpg

R5 IMGA4432 MASTER Crop 1600 A.jpg

The mornings are getting cooler and the Paper Wasps are getting more used to me setting up the tripod so today, they posed quite nicely with not too much fidgeting as the Canon Macro-Lite MT-26 EX-RT fired. This was around the 3:1 magnification mark on the MP-E65.

This is a stack of 15 fames using a manual macro focusing rail. I turned the focus screw ¼ turn inward, took a shot and so on.

Dennis.

View attachment 76969

View attachment 76968
These are magnificent. This level of photography is sheer wizardry as far as I am concerned.

Back
Top Bottom