• ANNOUNCEMENT

We have added a Micro Four Thirds (M43) forum in the gear section.
    The Olympus gear forum has been merged with it.
    It's here

Post Your Bee Shots (including wasps and other pollinators)

I found a Paper Wasp Nest under some foliage in our back garden this morning and the insects seemed quite calm.

This is a hand held stack of 10 frames taken with the Canon EOS R3, RF100mm F2.8L IS USM and Canon's Macro Twin Lite MT-26EX-RT and an external battery pack.

I used Focus Bracketing. The Speedlite kept up with the 10 frames as the subject was so close that the Speedlite was able to recycle with no pauses to re-charge.

Dennis

R3 IMG_5767 Crop 1600.jpg

R3 IMG_5767 Crop 1600 FR.jpg

I found a Paper Wasp Nest under some foliage in our back garden this morning and the insects seemed quite calm.

This is a hand held stack of 10 frames taken with the Canon EOS R3, RF100mm F2.8L IS USM and Canon's Macro Twin Lite MT-26EX-RT and an external battery pack.

I used Focus Bracketing. The Speedlite kept up with the 10 frames as the subject was so close that the Speedlite was able to recycle with no pauses to re-charge.

Dennis

View attachment 62366

View attachment 62365
It's a grand camera.

Dennis

View attachment 62366

View attachment 62365
Very impressive!

It's a grand camera.
Very impressive!
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.

There is a bit of softness to this stack compared to previous tripod-mounted stacks, due to user/camera movement and the shrubbery swaying in the light breeze. The fact that PS CC was able to Align and Blend the 10 frames is still impressive, none the less.

Dennis

Paper Wasps on their nest in our back garden.

I used the Focus Bracketing and Continuous Flash capability of the EOS R3 with the Canon Macro-Lite MT-26 EX-RT Flash to take 25 frames to Align and Blend in PS CC.

Dennis.

R3 IMG_5978 Crop 1600.jpg

R3 IMG_5978 Crop 1600 FR.jpg

Just looking at these shots gives me the heebie-jeebies, Dennis šŸ˜³

Fantastic set of images ā­ā­ā­

Cheers for now,
Simon
Thanks Simon, there is nothing to fear though, I have come to understand that these particular Paper Wasps are not very aggressive.

Last week I got clumsy and one of the Macro Twinlite flash heads brushed the nest .

The first I knew of this was that in the viewfinder, I saw the Wasps suddenly take off but they did not attack me, so I just quickly withdrew to terminate the session and let them get back to their daily routines.

There are larger, more aggressive Wasps I would not attempt this with.

Dennis.

This morning, I decided to use the EOS R5 and RF 100mm F2.8L IS USM and the Novoflex BAL-EOSR Auto Bellows for Canon RF-Mount.

I had to be extra careful due to the closer working distance and I found the AF to be a bit touchy.

If I extended the bellows too far, the RF 100mm Macro lend began to hunt and miss focus, so I had to back off to around 1/3 to Ā¼ extension.

As there is no Continuous Flash with the EOS R5 (as found in the EOS R3), I manually placed the AF point on different parts of the insect and took a series of 5 shots to then Align and Blend in PS CC.

Dennis.

R5 IMGA4260 Crop 1600.jpg

R5 IMGA4260 Crop 1600 A.jpg

Back
Top Bottom