Post Your Lighthouses!

DavidWatts

It makes me wanna cry!
Image Editing
No
Lighthouses! They all have character and charm of their own. Thousands of them still stand, and many are even in working condition. They're old, bold, beautiful and charming architectural gems of the past. This is a thread to not only display your photographic view of lighthouses, but maybe add some text about the history of the lighthouse and location (optional)? Enjoy!

Last edited:
Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse, Cape Elizabeth, Maine, USA. Constructed of brick in 1828, it was rebuilt as a cast iron structure in 1874. Stands 67 feet high (looks bigger than that, no?) and is 129 feet above sea level. Originally there was another twin light directly to the west, but that was decommissioned and repurposed for military use. They now call this remaining lighthouse the East Lighthouse even though there is no west.

Canon 5D3, Canon 24-105 L IS @ 70mm, f/11, 1/125, iso 100
i-RS65tCn-X3.jpg

Last edited:
The non-business side of Portland Headlight, Cape Elizabeth, Maine. A hurricane (yes, even up there) had just hit the coast hours before, and the seas and everything else were still rather gloomy and rough, which as it turns out, is exactly what you want when you take Llghthouse pics.

Canon 5D3, Canon 24-105 L IS @ 82mm, f/9, 1/500, iso 200
i-ZhwTXPb-X3.jpg

Last edited:
The light inside Mull of Galloway lighthouse, the most southerly point in Scotland. There are 115 steps to the top. From here you can see the Isle of Man and Northern Ireland on a good day. This was taken on a lovely day but not quite good enough.

065A4244.jpg

Last edited:
Mull of Galloway lighthouse from the outside. The wall in the left foreground protects the gardens in which the lighthouse men used to grow their vegetables. They lived in the cottages at the foot of the lighthouse, which has been automated since 1988. The cottages are now holiday lets.

065A4468 copy.jpg

Cape Meares Light Fresnel Lens from the lamp house. It was a grueling 25 or 30 steps up this lighthouse from the bottom. Built in 1890. Rebuilt in 1963. The Light was subject to many episodes of vandalism over the years.

Canon SL1 100D, Canon 18-55 IS @ 44mm, f/11, 1/200, iso 200
i-6rJnCpg-X3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom