• ANNOUNCEMENT

We have added a Micro Four Thirds (M43) forum in the gear section.
    The Olympus gear forum has been merged with it.
    It's here

Subtropical Australian Frogs

Very nice Stephen, I'm guessing that it is quite wet up there right now, with all these rain systems from the last few weeks.

Dennis
Thanks, Dennis! Yes, they have had plenty of rain up there.

Here is a Graceful Tree Frog (Litoria gracilenta) from my local suburban park in Brisbane after rain earlier this week.

Graceful Tree Frog by Stephen Mudge, on Flickr

Another Red-eye from the Bunya Mountains, this time on a branch.

Red-eyed Tree Frog (Litoria chloris) by Stephen Mudge, on Flickr
Hey Steven, I am really digging all your frog photos. I was just wondering, though, some of these red eyed frogs are showing more of their red irises, than others. Are the wide pupil shots earlier in your sequence of photographs, and the smaller pupil, more iris, later after you’ve been shining your lights on and flashing them? I like seeing those beautiful red irises, and was wondering if you had ever tried keeping a bright light on Them longer to see if that works?
I’m going to drive down to my cabin within the flood-plane of a river that normally is about 200 yards wide, but will be 4-5 miles wide in a few days. Frogs and toads like having small vernal pools picked clean of the small fish to spawn in rather than in a deep moving current. This seems to be the new normal thanks to global warming. I haven’t seen a major spawn in over ten years, due to flooding during or shortly after the time when their biological clocks ring! This means fewer frogs over a relatively short period of time for my usual scouting area.

Hey Steven, I am really digging all your frog photos. I was just wondering, though, some of these red eyed frogs are showing more of their red irises, than others. Are the wide pupil shots earlier in your sequence of photographs, and the smaller pupil, more iris, later after you’ve been shining your lights on and flashing them? I like seeing those beautiful red irises, and was wondering if you had ever tried keeping a bright light on Them longer to see if that works?
I’m going to drive down to my cabin within the flood-plane of a river that normally is about 200 yards wide, but will be 4-5 miles wide in a few days. Frogs and toads like having small vernal pools picked clean of the small fish to spawn in rather than in a deep moving current. This seems to be the new normal thanks to global warming. I haven’t seen a major spawn in over ten years, due to flooding during or shortly after the time when their biological clocks ring! This means fewer frogs over a relatively short period of time for my usual scouting area.
Thanks Keith! Yes, the pupils become smaller and the irises more apparent after a couple of flashes. I try not to give them too much bright light though, because it also affects their night vision when they are trying to hunt for food in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom