• ANNOUNCEMENT

We have added a Micro Four Thirds (M43) forum in the gear section.
    The Olympus gear forum has been merged with it.
    It's here

"Post your..." Ugh!

People can choose to do that (or maybe sometimes do it accidentally), but if you click on it, the image will open.
Some are doing it consistently. I suppose they haven't figured out how to get full-size images. Sam's sticky in FAQs with instructions on posting images helps. Some are also still getting captions in odd places, and there's no sticky for that.

In my case, it's a reflex reaction from posting photos on another forum with (I think) Xenforo software. There were strict rules on image size, and attempting to drag a file rather than first converting it to something smaller and then attaching it used to fail with an "image size too large" message. I have found that dragging seems to work here, but I still wonder if it can handle some of my large format edited scans without resizing first. I interpolate down now almost as a matter of course before editing a scan for printing, but as a genuine example, the first scan in my list is 1,365,194KB, and the average size of the rest is in the 339,000 KB region, according to Windows Explorer.

the first scan in my list is 1,365,194KB, and the average size of the rest is in the 339,000 KB region, according to Windows Explorer.
Do not even attempt to post files that big here! :bat:

Seriously though, files should not exceed 1600px on the long side. Large files mean pages will load slower, especially for folks with slow(er) connections and they are a drain on resources.

Yes, Levina, I know a click will open it. But I still wonder why people choose to attach rather than embed
I wonder about that too, Martin, although thumbnails are attachments too of course, people just insert them in a way that only the thumbnail is inserted in the post. I don’t know why. I did a short tutorial on how to insert the full image but maybe it’s too buried in the FAQs. And maybe some people prefer it that way. Not sure.

I'll admit that I have inadvertently posted with the thumbnail - the first time I posted an image. But I always check that whet I posted was what I intended, and went back to edit it. One (but I think only one) of my posts has the text in an odd place - and interestingly, the position varies depending on whether viewed on my PC or tablet. I don't have a smartphone, so I can't see what happens on one, but I wonder if this helps explain things.

And don't worry - my normal images might be about 15,000 x 12,000 pixels, but I wouldn't attempt even those. (Images before downsizing come from the scanner at 30,000 x 24,000 approx - and they are only the small 5x4 ones...)

I will do a write up for that too.
Days ago, I started one. Some kind of posting accident occurred, maybe user error, and what I'd written disappeared. What's tricky about captions is that your typing starts wherever the cursor is. That's no surprise, but the cursor lands at the lower right corner of a posted photo and is very hard to see. Now I know to hit Return twice after a photo if I want to say something there. The harder part is typing above the first photo in a post. How to get the cursor back up there isn't transparent. It's easier to type before inserting the photo, or else use Return before inserting the photo to make a space to type in later.

There! Now you have a first draft.

Seriously though, files should not exceed 1600px on the long side. Large files mean pages will load slower, especially for folks with slow(er) connections and they are a drain on resources.

Just checking on this one. I'm used to having to create resized images before posting, so it's not an issue, but does this imply that if I do drag something larger, although the forum will resize, it's still hogging the larger amount of storage and gets resized each time someone attempts to load? If so, I'll simply remember to never post an unresized image.

Days ago, I started one. Some kind of posting accident occurred, maybe user error, and what I'd written disappeared. What's tricky about captions is that your typing starts wherever the cursor is. That's no surprise, but the cursor lands at the lower right corner of a posted photo and is very hard to see. Now I know to hit Return twice after a photo if I want to say something there. The harder part is typing above the first photo in a post. How to get the cursor back up there isn't transparent. It's easier to type before inserting the photo, or else use Return before inserting the photo to make a space to type in later.

There! Now you have a first draft.

I learned to hit return twice before inserting, as I found it a lot easier to go back and delete two carriage returns than to attempt to get in front of the image to type!

The system often tells me the photo is too big when its dimensions are way less than 1600 and my computer says its size is a few hundred KB. All I can do is resize the photo until it squeezes in. In one case, converting to B&W worked.

Just checking on this one. I'm used to having to create resized images before posting, so it's not an issue, but does this imply that if I do drag something larger, although the forum will resize, it's still hogging the larger amount of storage and gets resized each time someone attempts to load? If so, I'll simply remember to never post an unresized image.
We had some trouble at first limiting people’s uploads. It took us a while to find the cause. Right now attachments that are bigger than 1600px should be downsized. Unless they are larger than about 4000px wide, then they get refused.

Some are doing it consistently. I suppose they haven't figured out how to get full-size images. Sam's sticky in FAQs with instructions on posting images helps. Some are also still getting captions in odd places, and there's no sticky for that.

the captions being all wonky, ive found, is when the caption is written, and then the poster isnt deliberately putting the cursor at the end of the line of text and then spacing down a line or three. the software puts the image where the cursor is and if not paying attention (ive done it a dozen times already myself) then the image ends up in the middle of a line of text or it deletes part of the text...

:rolleyes:

the captions being all wonky, ive found, is when the caption is written, and then the poster isnt deliberately putting the cursor at the end of the line of text and then spacing down a line or three. the software puts the image where the cursor is and if not paying attention (ive done it a dozen times already myself) then the image ends up in the middle of a line of text or it deletes part of the text...

:rolleyes:
You've got to keep your eye on the cursor, make sure you hit enter before uploading an image.

I made a little video clip about adding text, although after uploading an image. And also how to edit when you got it wrong. Link in my sig.

the captions being all wonky, ive found, is when the caption is written, and then the poster isnt deliberately putting the cursor at the end of the line of text and then spacing down a line or three.
Sometimes the cursor moves by itself when a comment is being typed, as discussed in some thread or other. Maybe it does the same in posts with photos.
I made a little video clip about adding text, although after uploading an image. And also how to edit when you got it wrong. Link in my sig.
I saw that you had. However, viewing requires allowing third-party cookies. Are these really dangerous cookies, like possibly malware?

In general, I get the feeling that XenForo was made for posting text, and little attention was paid to photos. We need an add-on to see EXIF. There's a column of speech balloons at the left margin on the Forums page, as if people were mostly talking.

However, viewing requires allowing third-party cookies. Are these really dangerous cookies, like possibly malware?
No, OhLook, they are not malware. They are Google cookies. Tracking cookies no doubt, because that is what Google does. And Youtube is Google. But you can also delete these cookies again after viewing something.

Back
Top Bottom