Need a thumbs-up for the 'Like' function!

Well, it mostly just looks like a blue dot to me.
I think the yellow hand is more recognizable at a glance.
The yellow hand is more easily seen as a hand because it's bigger than the hand in the blue circle, but, just looking at the colors, I think the blue stands out better than the yellow on the white background. But some people have a black or dark gray background . . .

The yellow hand is more easily seen as a hand because it's bigger than the hand in the blue circle, but, just looking at the colors, I think the blue stands out better than the yellow on the white background. But some people have a black or dark gray background . . .
Yeah, I never played with theme colors here or POTN other than looking for a good appearance to my eyes,
so I may have introduced a debate that's unnecessary.

The colour of the smileys is the same in all styles. So the default, blue thumbs up from the quick menu, is the same in all styles.
Well, it mostly just looks like a blue dot to me.
I think the yellow hand is more recognizable at a glance.
I prefer the blue because it's small, smaller than the yellow thumbs up, which I think is rather big and bulky. And I like that it's blue which I think is a nice change from all the yellow.

However, there is a technical reason that makes changing the smiley problematic to say the least. Any change made to a smiley will affect all smileys already given and the result will not look nice. I'll explain.

A smiley is a little image that under the hood is represented by a designated phrase. The moment I change something in a smiley (replace it with something else, or change the phrase by which it is called), the link between phrase and image on the board is broken and all those smileys disappear from the site and are replaced by the phrase. So in order to replace the blue icon with the yellow icon, no matter how I go about it, the former link will be broken and all blue thumbs up (and I mean all of them) will disappear from the site and instead we will see "Positive+1" and nothing I do will automatically change it back to a smiley again. I know, because it happened already with a smiley. I had to change all the smileys back manually. Luckily this happened months ago and the smiley hadn't been used that much, but the blue thumbs up from the quick menu is used the most and there must be a gazillion by now. So I really don't want to touch this smiley.

I think the blue stands out better than the yellow on the white background. But some people have a black or dark gray background . . .
The colour of the smileys is the same in all styles. So the default, blue thumbs up from the quick menu, is the same in all styles.
Right, the default smiley remains blue. I was referring to its contrast with the background, which depends on the style chosen.

Back
Top Bottom