• ANNOUNCEMENT

We have added a Micro Four Thirds (M43) forum in the gear section.
    The Olympus gear forum has been merged with it.
    It's here

Go to unread

Spitfirejd

POTN Refugee
Name
JD
Image Editing
Yes
How to you go directly to the first unread post in a long thread? There used to be a link next to the thread in POTN. Is there something similar here?

I've found it happens automatically when I click on a link I've already visited in the past.

New Posts come up under Forums >New Posts or Your Threads or Threads with Your Posts or Unanswered Posts ALL are under the drop down menu
What's new > New Posts will also take to new posts

New Posts come up under Forums >New Posts or Your Threads or Threads with Your Posts or Unanswered Posts ALL are under the drop down menu
What's new > New Posts will also take to new posts
Not quite what the OP is after. He's asking, when you have a multi-post thread, how do you go directly to the newest post, rather than clicking a link and going to the first post in the thread. Make sense?

Yes, I understand the question. I'm not having the same experience.
Let me check

How to you go directly to the first unread post in a long thread? There used to be a link next to the thread in POTN. Is there something similar here?
Click on New Posts. It will give you a list of every thread that has new material in it. Clicking on the link to the thread will take you to the first unread message. Clicking on the time in the last column will take you to the last post in the thread.

Click on New Posts. It will give you a list of every thread that has new material in it. Clicking on the link to the thread will take you to the first unread message. Clicking on the time in the last column will take you to the last post in the thread.
Super cumbersome, but it works. Unfortunately it shows me lots of stuff from categories that I care nothing about. I’d rather scroll through a category I’m interested in, say Birds for example, and when I see a thread I’ve looked at before be able to go right to the last image I’ve seen. But it’s a work in progress and mad props to what has been done so far, so fast. Not meaning to be a whiner, just wanted to know how this new site works. Thanks.

Actually, you don't even need to do what I described above.

Go to the forum you want, for example, Birds.

Click on the thread name and you'll be automatically taken to the first post unread by you.

If you want to go to the end of the thread, click on the date of the last post, listed in the right extreme column.

So, the current forum setup already does what you are asking for.

Not answering query but I'd wondered if using bookmarks would get us about here quicker.
I've only used it sparingly on another forum. But will engage with that option here6

Also interested in this. I'm not seeing it return to the first unread post, but to the first unread page (i.e. if I previously stopped halfway down page 2, it returns on page 3). Once returning to the thread upon reading all posts it starts at page 1 (expected behaviour maybe, but unsure what it will do if there is one new post on page 3 for example).
If people see different results could it be browser related?
Per someone above, not a complaint but just trying to understand functionality.

Back
Top Bottom