Conon 580 RX II does a strobe during test- how to do flash?

Capn Jack

Gold Member
Name
Jack
Image Editing
Yes
I've a 580 EX II.

When I push the "Pilot" button when it is red, I get a strobe rather than a flash. The flash is off the camera. It seems stuck in "Multi" mode.
I tried setting it to manual "M" and "ETTL". The batteries have been removed and replaced- no joy.

When giving advice, note that I'm new to this device may need detailed instructions.

This is typical when not in the hot shoe. I've used it as a modeling light when using them as slave units. Congrats, these are nice units and quite affordable these days.
If the manual is needed:
Thanks much!
I do have a printed manual. Yes, I want to eventually use it as a slave unit although it seems to be able to do much more. In the hot shoe, I can't get it to flash although the camera seems to recognize it is there- some flash settings aren't available because "there is an accessory in the hot shoe" . The LCD lights up, the buttons work. Any thought on how to do a factory reset in case I got it into some strange mode?

What body do have this on? Depending on the body you'll be able to access the range of flash controls through the body menu. There is backward compatibility though older bodies may not allow full access to flash features.

Batteries out resets the unit. Not sure if it works, another I had come across was hold the SEL/SET button down then turn the unit on.

What body do have this on? Depending on the body you'll be able to access the range of flash controls through the body menu. There is backward compatibility though older bodies may not allow full access to flash features.

Batteries out resets the unit. Not sure if it works, another I had come across was hold the SEL/SET button down then turn the unit on.
7D2- but I get an error that claims an accessory is installed or the flash is turned off. The 7D2 manual indicates the flash should be recognized. Pressing the flash button on the camera body brings up the flash menu if the built-in flash is popped up and is supposed to do the same for a SpeedLite. I'm starting to think the flash isn't working properly.

If you have another body to check that would be my suggestion. Normally with the flash on it would communicate with the body. The 7D2 built in would need to be in the down position. Might be something to call Canon about in terms of flash priority. The time I get that message is when the flash is in the hot shoe and off.

Canon CS# 800-385-2155

If you have another body to check that would be my suggestion. Normally with the flash on it would communicate with the body. The 7D2 built in would need to be in the down position. Might be something to call Canon about in terms of flash priority. The time I get that message is when the flash is in the hot shoe and off.

Canon CS# 800-385-2155
It doesn't seem to talk to a Canon Rebel XSi. I didn't think it was possible to put a flash in the hotshoe if the built-in flash wasn't stowed, but I haven't tried it.

Back
Top Bottom