• ANNOUNCEMENT

We have added a Micro Four Thirds (M43) forum in the gear section.
    The Olympus gear forum has been merged with it.
    It's here

Anyone shoot outdoor track?

Todd Stadium, Newport News VA. Yesterday and today were the Class 5 and 6 state championships. Blazing sun, 80 degrees. I will have a few shots to post but this pano was upon arriving first thing this morning. The sun was just about to graze the seats on this side of the stadium; you can see my shadow on the sideline just to the right of the 50.
1717270321414.jpeg

This girl broke her own school record (not sure if it was this jump but it could have been). Yes, I could clone the towers out of the BG. What surprised me upon review was the amount of light on the face coming up from the sand. Her skin is REALLY dark. It was direct sunlight, all day, which generally was a hindrance but in this case it worked out really well.
track-6.JPG

The girl above lands slightly sideways, like many of the better jumpers do. This girl (I've shown her before) lands straight. She and the girl above have traded holding records back and forth a few times.
track-5.JPG

This girl broke her own school record (not sure if it was this jump but it could have been). Yes, I could clone the towers out of the BG. What surprised me upon review was the amount of light on the face coming up from the sand. Her skin is REALLY dark. It was direct sunlight, all day, which generally was a hindrance but in this case it worked out really well.
View attachment 76351
Great shot! Reminds me of the Bob Beamon Mexico City WR photo!

Those bring up a shot selection question I’ve had in mind for this season: I tend to choose shots where the far leg is forward, so both are shown. What are your preferences?

I'll go with the best general capture I'm lucky enough to get. I thought these poses captured a powerful, determined athlete.

No argument from me! Just wondering about that specific preference (when there’s a choice). I pick images that I like, but it is useful to know what other people like as well.

I don't really have a preference for which leg is forward but I like it when the runner that I am highlighting has both feet off the ground. Here's one crossing the finish line.

BP628263-XL.jpg

Both feet off the ground prevents the facial sagging that triggers a lot of rejects for me.

I do like both feet off the ground, but this powerful, elongated look is pretty bad azz too. Very Nike-ish IMHO. Look at his shoe. I'll argue that's the reason Nike moved the swoosh from the side of the shoe to the front toe area.

Back when I was shooting hs marching band, the goal was always to have the color guard's flags in the air.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom