Replying to Posts

the durkarian

Image Editing
No
When members reply to a post in a thread could they please quote the post that they are replying to as it takes all the guess work out of trying to work out as to whom the post was actually addressed.

As an example in the Post Your Best Panning Shots thread there are a couple of posts that are clearly responses to previous posts, but as the the poster has not quoted the post there is uncertainty as to whom the post is directed at.

When members reply to a post in a thread could they please quote the post that they are replying to as it takes all the guess work out of trying to work out as to whom the post was actually addressed.

As an example in the Post Your Best Panning Shots thread there are a couple of posts that are clearly responses to previous posts, but as the the poster has not quoted the post there is uncertainty as to whom the post is directed at.
Makes sense. I used to be on a forum were a few failed to do this, it caused a few arguments at times. :)(y)

Agree 1000%. At POTN, there were always those members that would comment on a photo seen in the thread, somewhere, and perhaps several pages prior. Or it could be the one just above. No one knew. POTN did have a decent method of quoting photo posts by presenting just a thumb pic within the quoted post. Here we get a copy of the original large size pic in the quote. I see we now have the Click to Expand working for quoting photos. Nice, but it still takes up a bit more space than a small thumb.

There is a Reply button just to the right of the Quote. I use that a lot - which also generates a quote. I haven't figured out what the functional difference between the two is, if any (anyone know?). To make a comment more clear it helps to place a post number in one's comment if the subject post was more than a page back so people don't search the page one is currently on thinking it is somewhere above.

Last edited:
Agree 1000%. At POTN, there were always those members that would comment on a photo seen in the thread, somewhere, and perhaps several pages prior. Or it could be the one just above. No one knew. POTN did have a decent method of quoting photo posts by presenting just a thumb pic within the quoted post. Here we get a copy of the original large size pic in the quote. I see we now have the Click to Expand working for quoting photos. Nice, but it still takes up a bit more space than a small thumb.

There is a Reply button just to the right of the Quote. I use that a lot - which also generates a quote. I haven't figured out what the functional difference between the two is, if any (anyone know?). To make a comment more clear it helps to place a post number in one's comment if the subject post was more than a page back so people don't search the page one is currently on thinking it is somewhere above.
Reply quotes the post you're replying to, Quote is for multi quoting.

Reply quotes the post you're replying to, Quote is for multi quoting.

That helps. Thanks! I guess Quote works the same way if you're just quoting the one. I haven't tried multi-quote here yet.

Indeed pcs...
You're slipping David ;) jk

I know, I know. I missed a few meetings at FoP H.Q. last week due to my full-time day job. Not an excuse but I can't be everywhere at once. The podcasting of future meetings will help a lot.

What you can also do is select text, after which a little pop-up window appears with the option to Quote or to Reply, like so:

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-11-22 om 10.28.39.png

When clicking Quote it is added to MultiQuote. When you click Reply, it lands you in the text editor, with the selected text inserted, like so:

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-11-22 om 10.28.50.png

I am putting together a Tips and Tricks list 💡 for all these nifty little things that are somewhat hidden, that I will post in FAQs and Best Practices later.

What you can also do is select text, after which a little pop-up window appears with the option to Quote or to Reply, like so:

Well, that is a pretty neat trick to more quickly multi-quote posts. Thanks! What I did just now is the old tried-and-true method of Ctl+C and dropped in with Ctl+V and manually typed [ q u o t e ] tags. Talk about old fashioned and complicated!

Back
Top Bottom