• ANNOUNCEMENT

We have added a Micro Four Thirds (M43) forum in the gear section.
    The Olympus gear forum has been merged with it.
    It's here

Second, Clearview+.
Specifically, how to replicate its effects if you don't have the Elite edition of the DxO software.

DxO say that Clearview+ 'reduces atmospheric haze and enhances local contrast' but what does that mean in reality

Look at this yellowhammer, no adjustments yet. (click to view these full size to really see what I'm talking about)

image.thumb.png.dbd93b5704ed49210f4f2fc9790e189d.png

Now here it is with Clearview+ bumped to +50. No other adjustments:

image.thumb.png.9110c9a9f8eda956d14e2d777fa6ceb2.png

The background is a little punchier, the subject is more contrasty in general, some of those smaller blurry raindrops in the background are a little better defined, the bird's yellow feathers 'perceived saturation' seems to have increased, and the detail in the wing feathers seems a little better defined.

How to replicate that without Clearview plus? This is fairly close:

image.thumb.png.c9ff9a4dafee82b1f8eb5dceaa5eb91e.png

I've increased Exposure, midtones, contrast, micro contrast, vibrance and saturation a little and pulled blacks down a little, and the 3rd image isn't too far off the 2nd. I think I could have pushed the contrast and vibrance further but it's not far off.

As for how much to adjust I think you'd adjust to taste depending on the image.

Also worth noting that if you're using a 'recipe' or preset where those things are already being adjusted, you would add or subtract this from it.

So if the recipe has +10 black level, deduct the -5 here to make a final adjustment of +5.

If the recipe has +5 midtones, try adding the 15 here to make 20 and see how you go.

As with all the recipes, (to date, and in future, because there will be more), like many cooking recipes they're just a guide , you are encouraged to treat the components like seasoning and adjust to taste...
:)

Have a play with the RAW file yourself for comparison if you like.

That's all for today.

Back
Top Bottom