DxO Tutorials Questions and Comments

I suppose I should start the ball rolling by saying thanks and that I look forward to reading the rest of the posts..

For those interested there is some DxO history here. Photolab's predecessor Optics Pro was introduced almost 20 years ago.

You're welcome. (y)

For those interested there is some DxO history here. Photolab's predecessor Optics Pro was introduced almost 20 years ago.
And it's worth mentioning that a lot of the principles I'm covering apply equally well in Optics Pro as in Photolab. Allowing for UI changes, new features etc. I alluded to this in one of the first posts I think.

Thank you very much ! As a DXO user, it’s a great read. Looking forward to your next tutorials.

This is great, John! I have been a DxO Photolab user since version 1 -- basically since Adobe went to a subscription pricing model for Lightroom. I would say I'm a middle of the road user, taking advantage of some of the features, but there are others I have not delved into. Looking forward to going through your tutorial thread and learning about some of the features I haven't used yet.

About 10 years ago (back in January 2014) I started looking for alternatives to Lightroom. I happened across Capture One Pro and gave it a try. I was most impressed and have been using it ever since. That doesn't mean it is perfect. - Noise reduction is poor and it doesn't always have lens correction data for all the lenses which I use. But I have found a work around. My workflow is currently.....

First run the raw file through DxO PureRAW for mainly noise reduction and lens correction purposes, before importing the resulting DNG file into Capture One for further processing.

I applied the above workflow to your raw file, added some contrast, performed some Highlight and Shadow recovery, added in some Clarity using the "Punch" method and came up with this:

DSC_6358-NEF.jpg

It is worth noting that the combination of DxO PureRAW and Capture One does tend to over-sharpen the image and so reducing the sharpness in Capture One may be necessary.

Last edited:
Maybe someone can help me figure this out.
On my PC I can have the image browser docked below the image in the customize tab to move from image to image.
on my mac, I cant seem to get the browser to dock on the customize tab. The only thing I found was undock and it shows th browser but disappears as soon as i click any of the tools.
How do I get the browser to stay on the customize tab

nevermind, i figured it out. it seems it got tucked down and i had to pull it up to show. Only was able to see that when i went into full screen mode

I downloaded DXO Photolab 7 and Filmpack 7 and trying it out. Lots to learn and after exploring the application a bit, I will use John's tutorial to get better acquainted with the it.

A question though: those film emulating presets in Filmpack, do they actually look like the real thing?

A question though: those film emulating presets in Filmpack, do they actually look like the real thing?
Yes and no. It's a bit hit and miss and not something I've played with very much. If I were to play with it more I could probably achieve more hits and less misses!! :)
Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Yes and no. It's a bit hit and miss and not something I've played with very much. If I were to play with it more I could probably achieve more hits and less messes!! :)
Good luck with it.
Thanks, John. Some of the film presets worked very well with a few of my images.
I had decided to get the bundle (Photolab+Filmpack) but just after downloading the trial they've done away with that. I'm sure it's just a coincidence but :cloud:

Thanks, John. Some of the film presets worked very well with a few of my images.
I had decided to get the bundle (Photolab+Filmpack) but just after downloading the trial they've done away with that. I'm sure it's just a coincidence but :cloud:
Oh how annoying, just when you thought you didn't need a reminder of how the universe works eh?

Back
Top Bottom