Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Official Image Thread

MMP

POTN Refugee
Image Editing
No
I've always thought this lens was a gem in the EF lineup. Small, lightweight, great IQ, and of course, the 85mm focal length is extremely versatile.

f/2.2, 1/160, ISO500
AK9A4297-Edit.jpg

f/1.8, 1/400, ISO100
AK9A3565-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
I've always thought this lens was a gem in the EF lineup. Small, lightweight, great IQ, and of course, the 85mm focal length is extremely versatile.

f/2.2, 1/160, ISO500
View attachment 89

f/1.8, 1/400, ISO100
View attachment 90

I totally agree with your assessment:
Small, lightweight, great IQ,
I'd add that AF is competent. Not as confident as newer RF lenses, but not bad at all and fast enough for action shots. It is still quite a gem of a lens. The only real gripe I've ever had with this lens is the chromatic aberration, which can be horrible.

IMHO, it stands up very well today even with the R5's large pixel density, and of course benefits tremendously from the mirrorless superior AF.

In my experience the EF 85mm L has significantly more noticeable chromatic aberration when shooting wide open than the standard version does.
I don't recall the detail of the EF 85L vs the EF 85L II, but the tests I looked at for the RF 85 showed very well controlled CA wide open.

This is by far my favorite and most used as well as most profitable lens. As a portrait photographer I don't see much value in L lenses when the standard counterparts like this one get the job done for far less money.
View attachment 13143
View attachment 13147

From a recent shoot in downtown Portland.
Canon 5D MKIII, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens set to f/2.8, in natural light.
View attachment 38525

I love your work with this lens!

I used to own this lens and then 85L

The sharpness, bokeh and focusing are really good (of course not as fast as 70-200ii or other sport lens in comparison but still quite useable)

Comparing to 85L, its focusing is a bit faster, and more accurate. Weight is lesser and less chunky however it has more CA if you shoot against sunlight. Contrast also a bit harsher

Still, a lot of portrait photographer take great photo from this lens if you searched on flickr. So, in the end, it really depend on the person behind camera

8459316523_c09a4f6eba_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom