• ANNOUNCEMENT

We have added a Micro Four Thirds (M43) forum in the gear section.
    The Olympus gear forum has been merged with it.
    It's here

Request: RECIPE or FOOD label for posts, or maybe a Lounge sub-category

Recipes/Cooking/Food sub-forum

• Yeah, bring it on! I love trying stuff in the kitchen

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • It'll never fly, because nobody eats at home or they get takeout

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't cook or eat, so I don't care

• I can't cook to save my life, but I'd love to learn, and this could help me

• I'd love to discover cuisines and methods from other countries & cultures, so I'm in

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

SkedAddled

Gold Member
Name
Craig
Image Editing
Yes
On a whim, I posted about mashed potatoes, asking for people's preferences.
The responses have been far more that I expected, which leads me to believe
that many folks here do enjoy sharing their cooking habits and secrets.

Responses to my post have already generated a variety of new ways for me
to enjoy such a simple dish as mashed potatoes, which led me to conjecture
about starting up new tags or even a sub-forum, wherein we can share our
recipies and cooking ideas with each other.

I personally enjoy cooking, so I'd very much enjoy a dedicated thread to food preparation,
as opposed to appearance in photographs.

Things like seasoning tips, secret ingredients, recipies, cooking process, etc...

Anyone else on board with liking this idea?

You can add tags like "Food" or "Recipes" to threads. There's room for a new thread in Food and Beverages, or separate threads for discussing soups, desserts, and so forth. None of this requires an intervention so major as adding a subforum.

I didn't vote in your poll because "I cook but would like to spend less time at it" and "I want ideas for shopping and cooking for a small household" aren't there.

You can add tags like "Food" or "Recipes" to threads. There's room for a new thread in Food and Beverages, or separate threads for discussing soups, desserts, and so forth. None of this requires an intervention so major as adding a subforum.

I didn't vote in your poll because "I cook but would like to spend less time at it" and "I want ideas for shopping and cooking for a small household" aren't there.
I'm sorry I didn't include your needs/desires, but how could I?
I just think this could be a good addition.

We've had the Food Photography element for a long time,
but why not Food Preparation and Recipies?

The interest seems to be present, so why not launch it?

And yeah, I could have included an "I'm not interested because I'm a hermit or recluse" option
in my poll, but what would've been the point of that?

But it could be a thread.. we have a Food Forum and yes tags would be good, but maybe a sub forum for Food Recipes could include recipes for better shopping and quick cook tips?

We've had the Food Photography element for a long time,
but why not Food Preparation and Recipies?

The interest seems to be present, so why not launch it?

And yeah, I could have included an "I'm not interested because I'm a hermit or recluse" option
in my poll, but what would've been the point of that?

Let’s keep this positive.. please 🙏

Right, you couldn't have included all the reasons that a large group of people might possibly give for being interested. If my reply came off as critical/grumpy, I didn't mean it to.

In the back of my mind was that admins have sometimes expressed reluctance to make subcategories, and they might apply the same reasoning for this proposal as for others that came up.
We've had the Food Photography element for a long time, but why not Food Preparation and Recipies?
Well, it's been a long time since discussion threads and image threads had separate forums--remember those? Food discussions could fit in Food and Bevs along with food and drink images. I think trying to keep a section free of photos would be a mistake. If you forbid photos in a cooking thread, you'll get unhappy people who want to show their special mashed potatoes. Some food-prep topics are more visual and could benefit from images, like how to decorate these Christmas cookies or what was your barbecue setup.
But it could be a thread.. we have a Food Forum and yes tags would be good, but maybe a sub forum for Food Recipes could include recipes for better shopping and quick cook tips?
Sure, it could, with a title broader than just recipes.

Craig is just making a suggestion and putting it out to the community.
No parameters have been set, and it will be up for discussion with the Team.
It’s just the start of a discussion, all things are possible.

well, the Food & Beverages section does come under the "Photo Sharing & Discussion" header so I'm thinking Craig making a new thread there would fit in just fine would it not?.

(emphasis on the discussion - all the food photos make me hungry!) I'm sure the mods & admins can chat about it at one of our weekly breakfasts.

Craig, I love the idea of creating a place where people can share recipes. But there’s no need for a subforum as we have a dedicated food forum where a recipes thread would fit right in. Now if this thread would become so popular that it deserves its own subforum, we can do so, but it must prove it to us first.

POTN merged the image and talk sections years ago and when we built the forum we decided to keep it that way so a recipes and food preparation thread will be both for discussion and for sharing images. How that would turn out exactly is up to you as topic starter and in equal measure to the participants, but I can easily imagine pics of a certain ingredient (or of all the ingredients together), of how to cut this or that, to peel this or that, or of various stages in the cooking process, basically the way it is done in food blogs.

So start a recipes thread in the Food and Beverages forum and post your recipes and photographs. It can all go in one dedicated thread. If you’d like to keep the recipes with their relevant pics separate from pics of the finished dish, just start a separate thread for it: RECIPES - the finished dish (or something like that), and when posting a pic of a finished dish, include a link to the recipe.

As to granting the thread a label, I’m thinking about that. I have been against labels from the start, particularly colour labels, purely for aesthetic reasons; I don’t want to turn FoP into the Christmas tree that another forum we know looks like. But I might be persuaded to make an exception…

EDIT: I wanted to add that a Recipes thread doesn't have to be in the Food and Beverages forum. If you would prefer the Lounge for it, that would be okay too. Just no subforums.

Last edited:
I've been mostly thinking of a label/tag, such as Recipe/Preparation,
with no reason to exclude pictures, but a solid emphasis on making it happen
as opposed to simply illustrating it.

My impulsive post about mashed taters blew up far more than I would have expected,
which indicates that the idea may make a good choice as a label to choose from.
Whether it's in the Lounge or Food & Drink might make no difference, but the widely-varied
responses to my silly post tells me that a simple mention elicits a large amount of responses.

And as an American who's spent my entire life in the US, knowing this forum is composed of
people from many nations, I'd relish the discovery of cuisines explained from other nations.

Back
Top Bottom