• ANNOUNCEMENT

We have added a Micro Four Thirds (M43) forum in the gear section.
    The Olympus gear forum has been merged with it.
    It's here

Question from seasoned traveler about celestial shooting in Grand Teton and Yellowstone

HannahsDad

POTN Refugee
Name
Scott
Image Editing
Yes
So, we go to Grand Teton and Yellowstone every year and have for the past 13 years. We generally stay in each park for about two weeks, sometimes longer. I have just about all of the requisite shots in both parks. I am looking for some creative ideas from folks on what to shoot that hasn't been so overshot that you see it every time you look at a photo from either park. This time, I would like to get in some night shooting.

One location I am thinking of in GTNP is the outlet of String Lake (at the bridge) looking toward the Grand, but with the Milky Way in the background. Using Stellarium and other tools, the best I can come up with is that in June, the Milky Way will be about 10-15 degrees left of the Grand at around 4:00 AM, just before sunrise. I have also thought about getting a shot of one of the Moulton barns with the Milky Way in it, but GTNP has now prohibited light painting within the park, so I'm not sure what that would look like.

I have been scouring the web looking for ideas and have a few, but if anyone has some great ideas about where and when to shoot, please, let me know.

As far as Yellowstone goes, we are going to be on the north side this year and I plan to get some shots of Tower Falls at sunrise, the lower Falls at sunset and the canyon at the same time. I would love to get a close up shot of Undine Falls, but there does not appear to be a trail that takes you to the base. Just the Lava Creek trail on the north side of the falls. That might work, but I have never shot from there. Any thoughts on the northern areas of Yellowstone for landscapes?

Scott

Back
Top Bottom