Post Your Day For Night Conversions

Lester Wareham

Staff member
Name
Lester Wareham
Image Editing
No
Having been inspired by day-for-night posts in the "City of Light" thread I thought I would try this.
I don't normally do Photoshop manipulations but I would be interested to see what others might do.

Here is my offering of the Cornish town Looe taken on a flat overcast day. I always wanted to go back for night shots but never had time.

land 6D Looe_15-10-11_006_D2N by Lester W, on Flickr

And the original
land 6D Looe_15-10-11_006 by Lester W, on Flickr

Having been inspired by day-for-night posts in the "City of Light" thread I thought I would try this.
I don't normally do Photoshop manipulations but I would be interested to see what others might do.

Here is my offering of the Cornish town Looe taken on a flat overcast day. I always wanted to go back for night shots but never had time.

land 6D Looe_15-10-11_006_D2N by Lester W, on Flickr

And the original
land 6D Looe_15-10-11_006 by Lester W, on Flickr
Very nice!

Same here, I rarely use Photoshop but I thought that street picture from Montmartre had a good potential and it was interesting to give it a try.

My workflow was following:
1. Use Object Removal and Clone Stamp tools in Photoshop to clean up the picture (cars, people, trash bins).
2. Switch to Lightroom. Add a mask for sky and convert it to night (mostly exposure and color temp).
3. Add another mask for sky, invert and adjust the rest of the picture - again exposure and color temp for night street view.
4. Add multiple masks for street lights, lighted areas around lamp posts, windows and adjust accordingly.

There is a small problem I had with p.4 (which I also see on your picture) - the window frame should be darker than the glass part, not the other way around. This happened when I was changing windows simply by adjusting exposure and Lightroom selects entire window as a single object. I should have adjusted each glass pane separately but I was too lazy. :)

Very cool experiment overall. Not that I will be doing this very often but this is a nice skill to have in one's toolbox.

Yes all I did was :
1. add a cool cast using a 3D table layer, then
2. repeated this twice with different warm casts for lit windows and street lights.
3. Windows I selected using the rectangular tool and fill the mask with white.
4. Paint in the street lights and some reflections light spill on both warm layer masks.
5. To vary the lit windows colour and brightness a bit more I inserted a heue-saturation with mask and painted on this with limited brush flow.
6. Because the sky was plain I masked in a blue hour sky I had.

I am sure I could fiddle for hours, but it was quite quick and dirty as I say.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom