Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM Official Image Thread

MMP

POTN Refugee
Image Editing
No
canon_135_f2.jpg
The Canon EF 135 f/2L USM was released on 4/1/1996 and priced at $899 USD.

• Lens Construction: 10 elements in 8 groups
  • Diagonal Angle of View: 18°
  • Focus Adjustment: Rear focusing system with USM (Ultrasonic Motor)
  • Closest Focusing Distance: 0.9m / 3 ft.
  • Filter Size: 72mm
  • Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.2" x 4.4", 1.7 lbs. / 82.5 x 112.0mm, 750g
  • Angle of View (Horizontal, Vertical, Diagonal): 15°, 10°, 18°
  • Number of Diaphragm Blades: 8
  • Minimum Aperture: f/32
  • Maximum Magnification: 0.19x
  • AF Type: USM

Fringe2023_8762.jpg

I'm thinking of picking up a used copy of this lens in my shop, but I'm hesitant as I'm not sure how it will perform on my R6II. Anyone use it on one of Canon's mirrorless cameras, say an R5 or R6? If so, how does it perform? I'm mostly concerned about AF.

I'm thinking of picking up a used copy of this lens in my shop, but I'm hesitant as I'm not sure how it will perform on my R6II. Anyone use it on one of Canon's mirrorless cameras, say an R5 or R6? If so, how does it perform? I'm mostly concerned about AF.

I use this lens to shoot my 13 year old son's indoor soccer games on an R6. Indoor soccer is very poorly lit and the kids are much faster than you think a 13 year old should able to be ... I have no complaints at all. I'm not going to lie to you and say it's perfect, it is not. I'm sure the RF135 coupled with the R6II would be better, but maybe my ignorance is bliss. It works just fine. The gallery is here. You'll see the focus missed from time to time, but not enough for me to be upset about it (though I would like the RF version):

I got one a while back and I love it, but on my R6 the AF is accurate and dependable but not particularly fast; my EF 70-200 f/2.8 II easily bests it for acquisition speed and when tracking fast motion. Also if fps matters to you, be aware that you won't get full speed in mechanical or EFCS with this lens, at least not with an R6 behind it.

Last edited:
The EF lenses are tack sharp in terms of AF on R6. Using 135mm F2 on R6 is such a light weight combination. This is my second 135mm F2. First one was more punchy. So, the characteristics of older 135mm F2 was much better.

Thank you all for responding! My question about the AF was more about accuracy and if it would focus at all. My EF 100mm macro (non-L) tends to hunt a lot on my R6II (and on my R6 before) and I was wondering if the 135/2 was doing the same. So the AF doesn't have to be fast at all (it wouldn't be used for any action shots), just work and preferably, be accurate.

Thank you all for responding! My question about the AF was more about accuracy and if it would focus at all. My EF 100mm macro (non-L) tends to hunt a lot on my R6II (and on my R6 before) and I was wondering if the 135/2 was doing the same. So the AF doesn't have to be fast at all (it wouldn't be used for any action shots), just work and preferably, be accurate.
It is accurate for me on my R6 and R8 and fast enough to catch my kids.

Back
Top Bottom