• ANNOUNCEMENT

Editing time now unlimited! For more information, read the thread in FAQs and Best Practices

Sony Lounge Thread GM-CR MK IV-A

My main dilemma just now is to continue waiting on my x100Vi preorder for another couple of months probably for my take everywhere camera or instead go for the a7c2 or a7cR with probably the 40 2.5 G lens. The Sony bodies would have the better IQ and far better AF and the overall package is almost as small as the Fuji (body actually smaller but lens makes it bigger overall). But then I don’t get leaf shutter, built in ND or film sims. The Sony setup is a lot more expensive too. But I can’t stop thinking about it now after making the mistake of looking at YouTube videos about the two Sony bodies 🤣. I defo wouldn’t want to use my existing lenses on it as it would be too big for the take everywhere setup I’m trying to get.

My main dilemma just now is to continue waiting on my x100Vi preorder for another couple of months probably for my take everywhere camera or instead go for the a7c2 or a7cR with probably the 40 2.5 G lens. The Sony bodies would have the better IQ and far better AF and the overall package is almost as small as the Fuji (body actually smaller but lens makes it bigger overall). But then I don’t get leaf shutter, built in ND or film sims. The Sony setup is a lot more expensive too. But I can’t stop thinking about it now after making the mistake of looking at YouTube videos about the two Sony bodies 🤣. I defo wouldn’t want to use my existing lenses on it as it would be too big for the take everywhere setup I’m trying to get.
I thought a lot about getting the tiny 40G…looks great in every way except F2.8. I ended up buying the really cheap Samyang 35mm 1.8. It might be as light as the 40G, if not imperceptibly heavier. 40G looks super cool though (especially with that Leica-like after-market lens hood). The little 24G could be fun too.

Also I bought the silver Smallrig arca-swiss base plate that matches the silver top on my a7C II. I love the aesthetics of the setup and it’s a big reason I bought the a7C II to start with. Favorite camera I’ve ever owned! And while the 24GM, 35GM, 50GM are larger lenses, they’re still fantastic and comfortable on the smaller A7C bodies.

I’m not entirely sure what you’d miss, but have you thought about just selling the a7R5 and going with the a7CR?

Here are a few more sample shots I made using the PolarPro filter. The effect was a bit too strong on the bridge scene - I used dehaze a bit to cut through some of the glow, but it’s still really strong. The duck has a nice glow. I didn’t anticipate doong any bird photography with the 50GM and didn’t have bird eye-AF enabled! ;)

The effect of the filter on the middle shot is my favorite, as it’s quite subtle but lends a lovely softness to the out of focus foliage.

BTW, all shots using the Cobalt Fuji Astia color profile.

Wetumpka by David Arbogast, on Flickr

A Coosa Overlook by David Arbogast, on Flickr

Feed Me Now! by David Arbogast, on Flickr

Nice one Lee (y)

I got this one from my back garden. I wish I had turned the lights off upstairs in my house as its a bit distracting but the wine was clouding my judgement :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 69355
Great work on the AB shots people. Love this one Eddie, I also agree the window lighting adds to it!

I was like you Eddie, had been out out having a few beers with some of my mates from school I haven’t seen for ages.

Had more pints than I normally do!! My better half stayed up to tell me when I got home. She had some nice pics with her phone. I did get the camera out and tried my luck, all hand held in the garden. All terrible, because I couldn’t really see straight!! :ROFLMAO:

Cool shots Gary! Odd thing is I’m actually more interested in the cool architecture and (to my eyes) weird-looking trees. Those trees almost look like a really bad artificial Christmas tree or a cell phone tower disguised (poorly) as a tree, but as real natural trees they’re super cool! Oh, sure, the aurora is really neat too. ;)
Thanks David.
To be honest, I'm not sure about the tree's, they are real though, but not sure what they are.
The building is the Mangawhai Museum. Mangawhai in Maori means "Stream of the Stingray" It is the traditional Maori name for the area referring to the amount of stingrays found in the estuary and waters. I believe the museum is built to look like a stingray, with the wings.
Here's a daylight picture of it (not mine)
1715637150342.png

Cheers
Gary

Wait for the Fuji ;)

The whole point of it is the much smaller size and weight and the different shooting experience imo.

imo being the X100f :)

I enquired about a Vi last week and was told at least a 3-4 month wait for black or silver.

Wait for the Fuji ;)

The whole point of it is the much smaller size and weight and the different shooting experience imo.

imo being the X100f :)

I enquired about a Vi last week and was told at least a 3-4 month wait for black or silver.

Ive owned the x100 S, T, F and V so know what im getting with the series and love it, but ive always had the niggle that the AF and IQ isnt what I get with my Sonys. Once you have that its hard to go backwards :giggle:. Thats kind of what got me thinking about the a7c2 or as7cR. However the Fuji has many pros beyond IQ and AF so its a hard one. I was also told by the company I preordered that I had 2-3 months ahead of me before I get it. Im going to Hawaii on September so need something in place by then.

I’m not entirely sure what you’d miss, but have you thought about just selling the a7R5 and going with the a7CR?

It has crossed my mind. The EVF is the only worry in my head. I LOVE my A7rV so its a concern letting it go. Im going to sell my 85GM as dont feel like I need it now that I have the 50GM and also hvent been using my Sigma Macro as much as I would have liked so will be selling that too. Might just sell both lenses and pick up an A7CR to give it a try and then make a decision on it all, which one to keep etc

I’m sure at some point everyone in their photography journey has been to Canon Rumors so this is pretty sad to read.

I remember a few years ago there was an incident where he started calling out people out of nowhere so based on the link in that post, looks like he’s been having some struggles for some time now 😢

IMG_1135.jpeg

My preorder for X100VI since 2/20 is still on backorder at B&H, but don't plan to cancel it. I'll most likely just sell it off once I get it. I've heard great things about it but also so so ones such as AF, sharpness, etc.. Not sure once I get my hands on it, but for now, the sell it off decision became easy since getting the a7CR couple weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to take it out for a proper shoot to share anything worthy, but I'm fully convinced I will be happy having the Sony over Fuji. I think a7CR is technologically advanced enough for me to use as my main camera and small enough to be my everyday carry camera as well. Although carrying the X100VI should be much more convenient, I keep thinking carrying the a7CR is not that bad especially if paired with a small lens. I know it's not pocketable but I usually carry some sort of bag when I go out anyways so I just try to justify the bigger size that way.. :) So far, I've been testing mainly with my old lenses 24GM, CV12, and Loxia 21, but do plan on adding the 50 1.4GM in a near future. After that, I would like something small like the Sigma 35, sony 40, few Samyangs, but haven't decided yet.. It's actually quite joyful knowing there are many options nowadays. :)

My preorder for X100VI since 2/20 is still on backorder at B&H, but don't plan to cancel it. I'll most likely just sell it off once I get it. I've heard great things about it but also so so ones such as AF, sharpness, etc.. Not sure once I get my hands on it, but for now, the sell it off decision became easy since getting the a7CR couple weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to take it out for a proper shoot to share anything worthy, but I'm fully convinced I will be happy having the Sony over Fuji. I think a7CR is technologically advanced enough for me to use as my main camera and small enough to be my everyday carry camera as well. Although carrying the X100VI should be much more convenient, I keep thinking carrying the a7CR is not that bad especially if paired with a small lens. I know it's not pocketable but I usually carry some sort of bag when I go out anyways so I just try to justify the bigger size that way.. :) So far, I've been testing mainly with my old lenses 24GM, CV12, and Loxia 21, but do plan on adding the 50 1.4GM in a near future. After that, I would like something small like the Sigma 35, sony 40, few Samyangs, but haven't decided yet.. It's actually quite joyful knowing there are many options nowadays. :)

I am still on the fence about even ordering.... Very late I know....

But I bought a well priced X100f a few months ago to try the series out as I've always liked the look and thought of them.

I love using it. I use it for days out and street photography with no issues. Very enjoyable experience. Anyway, the plan was to sell it if I didn't like it without losing anything ££ or maybe trade up with my CV40/1.2 for an X100v - but a used X100v at MPB is £1540 and a new X100vi is £1599...!! So that's a no brainer to me! Or, I just stick with the X100f....? And ignore its slight shortcomings.....

How do you find the a7CR EVF?

How do you find the a7CR EVF?
Because I haven't had a taste of high quality EVF like the a7RV, to my inexperienced eyes, I think it is just fine.. I haven't had any issue with the original a7C and neither with this one.

Does anyone here have a NAS?

I’m thinking of selling my a7IV to find one but conflicted between getting a Synology or building one myself on TrueNAS!

Does anyone here have a NAS?

I’m thinking of selling my a7IV to find one but conflicted between getting a Synology or building one myself on TrueNAS!
Hi mate, I have a synology DS923+. Absolutely love it. The UI is fast which I like (had an older synology that was snail pace previously). I’ve got my NAS to auto backup to my backblaze B2 buckets too for a cloud backup.

Hi mate, I have a synology DS923+. Absolutely love it. The UI is fast which I like (had an older synology that was snail pace previously). I’ve got my NAS to auto backup to my backblaze B2 buckets too for a cloud backup.
Hi Eddie! That's one of the models I was looking at, great to hear you enjoy it! I've been so back and forth on which to get as I was looking at the one you have, but I've read the 423+ might be more suited due to the onboard graphics (I want to use it for Plex too).

I don't have any space for a 4 bay now so might go with the DS224+ for now then just upgrade to a 4/6 bay later on when I have more space, much like I do with cameras. You can also build one for fairly cheap too which is another temptation haha.

Back
Top Bottom