Light Painting

Levina de Ruijter

Administrator
Staff member
Name
Levina
Image Editing
No
A technique that is both special and can give creative effects is light painting.

I did some light painting in the past. Shoes a lot, but also other subjects. Just tabletop stuff. Ordinary subjects. A lot of trial and error were involved. I also blended shots in post. Some of the results were pretty nice, I thought. So here are some of my examples.

With the shoes I just started like this: a pair of shoes and then using a flash light. I used a remote to trigger the shutter.
Canon 5D & EF 50/1.8
ISO100 - f/11 - 20s
20140801_5D_003.jpg

Very nice work on this one Levina. Light painting, when used on a still life like this, produces some really nice results.

Tom
Thanks, Tom. Aren't those tomatoes amazing? I've never seen tomatos look so healthy and vibrant! Handling the highlights was not so easy though... :D

Last edited:
Very cool! Well done too, because that takes some doing, I think.
Thanks. Actually, it's been so long since doing this (May 2014), I kinda' forgot how I did it, but it was very simple. If I recall correctly, I used a short string of battery powered Christmas lights, put my camera on Bulb, ran out to the position, twirled the lights in a circle while trying to remain centered, then ran back and closed the shutter. I think I saw it on YouTube or something.

Took a number of tries to get a decent result. The upper part of the house and trees were lit by a mostly full moon. I used a flashlight to paint parts of the lawn and lower foliage to look like moonlight from above. I ran inside and manually popped a speedlite with a blue gel downstairs then another speedlite with a red gel upstairs. 138 second exposure in bulb mode.

IMG_1604-Edit.jpg

Took a number of tries to get a decent result. The upper part of the house and trees were lit by a mostly full moon. I used a flashlight to paint parts of the lawn and lower foliage to look like moonlight from above. I ran inside and manually popped a speedlite with a blue gel downstairs then another speedlite with a red gel upstairs. 138 second exposure in bulb mode.

View attachment 12694
Very beautiful!

View attachment 12694
That is a great result. But I really laughed out loud when I read how you were running around to get it all done! But yes, great result.

Back
Top Bottom