• ANNOUNCEMENT

Editing time now unlimited! For more information, read the thread in FAQs and Best Practices

New CMOS sensor, improvements in AF and looks like more AI for subject tracking. Mouth watering….

From the Canon USA teaser:

“DIGIC Accelerator in addition to the pre-existing processor DIGIC X. The new image processing system, composed of these processors and a new CMOS sensor, enables large volume of data to be processed at high speeds and delivers never-before-seen advancements in Auto Focus (AF) and other functions.

By combining the new image processing system and deep learning technology to an advanced degree, Canon has achieved high-speed and high-accuracy subject recognition. For example, subject tracking accuracy has been improved so that in team sporting events where multiple subjects intersect, the target subject can continually be tracked even if another player passes directly in front of them. In addition, the AF “Action Priority” function recognizes subject movement by rapidly analyzing the subject’s status. In moments during a sports game when it is difficult to predict what will happen next, this function automatically determines the player performing a certain action, such as shooting a ball, as the main subject and instantly shifts the AF frame, thereby helping to capture decisive moments of gameplay.”

good news for pros, for us some of those techologies will eventually came to newer mirrorless cameras in the future without paying those 1-series prices. Not kind excited about this camera as is not the type of bodies I would eventually get but let's see how advanced this new camera is against the competition specially at AF

good news for pros, for us some of those techologies will eventually came to newer mirrorless cameras in the future without paying those 1-series prices. Not kind excited about this camera as is not the type of bodies I would eventually get but let's see how advanced this new camera is against the competition specially at AF
I think Canon has always held its own in terms of AF and lately, some of the AI features like eye detection. The key question is whether Canon has closed the gap on other things like noise, dynamic range, rolling shutter effects, etc. I’m sure Canon will leave no stone unturned to ensure that their flagship will be competitive if not better than other brands. I’m curious what the Digic accelerator will do and what the MP and fps will be.

I thought that since the 7DII (and certainly the 5D4) Canon was in the ballpark re noise and dynamic range (see https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,Canon EOS R5,Nikon D850,Sony ILCE-7SM3)? Not sure about rolling shutter effects though.
They did. I think Canon might even be a little better. Nothing can be measured or proven, but I think Canon does a little less 'baking in' of noise reduction.
Photons to Photons sows Sony A9 and Canon 1DXII neck and neck. I used both at the same time and judge the Canon files to be a tad cleaner.
Canon has already said the R1 will have lowest rolling shutter. By the time it's released though, it may be a very limited time at the top.
'Only' 30MP is where Canon will trail the competition.

With many sources to provide details on actual output, for many users, the new important measure will be stability.
How likely is the R1 (or any camera) to keep shooting when you want it without locking up, freezing, or losing some functionality needing a reboot or battery removal.

That can't be measured. Well, an individual user can, but it's not like the camera keeps a user accessible log that can be used for any consumer benefit.

New CMOS sensor, improvements in AF and looks like more AI for subject tracking. Mouth watering….

From the Canon USA teaser:

“DIGIC Accelerator in addition to the pre-existing processor DIGIC X. The new image processing system, composed of these processors and a new CMOS sensor, enables large volume of data to be processed at high speeds and delivers never-before-seen advancements in Auto Focus (AF) and other functions.

By combining the new image processing system and deep learning technology to an advanced degree, Canon has achieved high-speed and high-accuracy subject recognition. For example, subject tracking accuracy has been improved so that in team sporting events where multiple subjects intersect, the target subject can continually be tracked even if another player passes directly in front of them. In addition, the AF “Action Priority” function recognizes subject movement by rapidly analyzing the subject’s status. In moments during a sports game when it is difficult to predict what will happen next, this function automatically determines the player performing a certain action, such as shooting a ball, as the main subject and instantly shifts the AF frame, thereby helping to capture decisive moments of gameplay.”

The AF AI blurb is close to a copy / paste of 1D blurb. Not 1DXIII, 1D.

Remember? 3 AF Modes: ONE SHOT, AI FOCUS, AI SERVO.

AI Focus AF is an autofocus mode found on most Canon EOS cameras, though it is only selectable as a mode on some models. This automatic focusing mode allows the camera to decide whether the subject is static or moving, and will select either One-shot AF or AI Servo AF (DSLR) / Servo AF (mirrorless) depending on what type of subject the camera senses – hence the ‘AI’ indicating artifical intelligence.

That's just one quote. Canon published lot's of information, with much use of the terms 'AI' and 'predictive'

I'm curious how Canon has managed to detect a dummy pass. Well, I'm not really, I don't believe they have.

So call me cynical on the AF blurb.
All brands have a history of exaggerating features and tech.

Strangely, in the case of Canon, I never saw them mention one of the massive benefits of the 7DII.
Many astro photographers chose the obvious 6D over the 7D2. How could a full frame sensor not out perform a crop?
For long exposures, the 7D2 did. The longer the exposure, the bigger the advantage. What test site tests this?

Roger Clark did and did Canon's marketing for free. Proper, genuine marketing info.
The 7DII was better than 6D, 1DX, 1DXII regarding long exposure noise.
Somewhere there is a Canon engineer with a severely damaged head from hitting a brick wall.

The AF AI blurb is close to a copy / paste of 1D blurb. Not 1DXIII, 1D.

Remember? 3 AF Modes: ONE SHOT, AI FOCUS, AI SERVO.

AI Focus AF is an autofocus mode found on most Canon EOS cameras, though it is only selectable as a mode on some models. This automatic focusing mode allows the camera to decide whether the subject is static or moving, and will select either One-shot AF or AI Servo AF (DSLR) / Servo AF (mirrorless) depending on what type of subject the camera senses – hence the ‘AI’ indicating artifical intelligence.

That's just one quote. Canon published lot's of information, with much use of the terms 'AI' and 'predictive'

I'm curious how Canon has managed to detect a dummy pass. Well, I'm not really, I don't believe they have.

So call me cynical on the AF blurb.
All brands have a history of exaggerating features and tech.

Strangely, in the case of Canon, I never saw them mention one of the massive benefits of the 7DII.
Many astro photographers chose the obvious 6D over the 7D2. How could a full frame sensor not out perform a crop?
For long exposures, the 7D2 did. The longer the exposure, the bigger the advantage. What test site tests this?

Roger Clark did and did Canon's marketing for free. Proper, genuine marketing info.
The 7DII was better than 6D, 1DX, 1DXII regarding long exposure noise.
Somewhere there is a Canon engineer with a severely damaged head from hitting a brick wall.
The AI autofocus on the R3, R5, and R6 are reportedly pretty good, based on reports on the old PotN. The images are good here, although it isn't such a topic on conversation anymore. I've a 7D2 and it does a great job in low light as you stated.

The AI autofocus on the R3, R5, and R6 are reportedly pretty good, based on reports on the old PotN. The images are good here, although it isn't such a topic on conversation anymore. I've a 7D2 and it does a great job in low light as you stated.
I'm sure it will be good. It will need to be more than very good as Nikon Z9 and Z8 are very good as are the Sony A1 and A9III. The A1 was released March 2021 and the Z9 December 2021. Updated versions of both of those are likely not long after R1 release. Simply matching the existing flag ships means it's not running last for only a short time.

Back
Top Bottom