EF 17-55 f/2.8 IS Problem

Jack Dawe

Gold Member
Name
Jason/Jack
Image Editing
Yes
I really liked this lens for its vibrance and low light capabilities, but it's died on me. I really miss it. It still works fine at 17mm, but the minute I zoom in I get an error 01 message telling me that communication between the camera and lens has been lost and advising me to clean the contacts. I have cleaned the contacts on the lens to no avail (and the contacts on the camera are fine with my other lenses). Unfortunately Canon are no longer servicing the 17-55. Do you think this is something a third party would be able to rectify, or is the lens kaput?

I suspect a bad ribbon cable, which is totally repairable. Do you have a good camera repair place nearby?

I suspect a bad ribbon cable, which is totally repairable. Do you have a good camera repair place nearby?

Many thanks indeed, Anton. That first link describes my problem exactly. So: a faulty ribbon cable. Presumably this is what I need:

We do have one or two indepedent lens repair chaps locally, so I'll have a chat and see what they think.

My old 17-55 had the same issue albeit over ten years ago. The Canon Repair Center in Central Jersey was less than a 90 minute drive and fixed the issue with Ribbon Cable.
Unfortunately that facility closed a few years ago.

I also had this happen to my 17-55, many years ago. A local camera shop did the repair and it worked flawlessly for many years before I sold it. I don't remember exactly what they charged, but It wasn't more than $150. Convert that to today's cost, I'd guess its close to a $300 job.

My 24-70 suffered the same fate. I have a replacement cable with aperture here for when I muster the nerve to disassemble it that far.

Back
Top Bottom