Canon EF 24mm f/2.8

Mine's just got a new lease of life on my Panasonic S5 with a Viltrox adapter. It actually seems much sharper than I remember it being, even with open. Not taken anything really noteworthy with it, just playing around with it. Here's a test shot @ f/2.8.
231217-P1000585.jpg

And out of my old 6D
14047084495.jpg

She vignettes a little bit, shows a bit of CA wide open, but it really surprises me just how sharp it is wide open on my Lumix S5. Pretty good for a 37 year old lens.
P1000630-FOP.jpg

Last edited:
On your samples how are the corners at F4-5.6? I had a loaner prior to the 24-70/2.8L and relative to the zoom I wasn't swayed for the prime.

On your samples how are the corners at F4-5.6? I had a loaner prior to the 24-70/2.8L and relative to the zoom I wasn't swayed for the prime.
The corners aren't great, to be honest. The biggest reason I stuck with this lens all these years is it can fit in any jacket pocket and it weighs very little. I think it is less than 300g. It's about the same size and weight as the 50mm f/1.4. The image quality overall is fine, but it is not an L lens.

Thanks!
I had debated the later IS variants in 24 and 35mm though when the 5D-IV was sold acquiring those lenses went away. One of those curiosities that came up seeing this thread.

Victoria Peak, Hong Kong. I had forgotten my tripod. I was so angry with my self I almost didn't bother taking the shot. I had schlepped my tripod with me for a month in SE Asia specifically with this photo in mind. I knew that when I got to Hong Kong, this is what I really wanted to see. And then I left the tripod in the hotel. I braced myself against the short wall and hoped for the best. I think I did pretty good.
5D, EF 24mm f/2.8, @ f/11, 1 second hand held, ISO 800
Victoria Peak by Dillan K, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom